Friday 22 September 2017

Comic Book Review: Runaways #1



About the comic book

Title: Find Your Way Home
Series: Runaways (2017 - #)
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Artist: Kris Anka
Genres: Comics, Marvel, Superheroes
Publication: September 13th, 2017
Pages: 18
Read: September 2017

My Copy

Publisher: Marvel Comics
Edition: Single
Purchase Location: Kabooom Comic Store, Zurich

My Rating:

Goodreads Summary

GET READY TO RUN! The "IT" book of the early 2000s with the original cast is back – Nico! Karolina! Molly! Chase! Old Lace! And, could it be? GERT?! The heart of the Runaways died years ago, but you won't believe how she returns! Superstar author Rainbow Rowell (Eleanor & Park, Carry On) makes her Marvel debut with fan-favorite artist Kris Anka (ALL-NEW X-MEN, CAPTAIN MARVEL) in the series that will shock you and break your heart!


My Spoiler Free Review

This is my first time picking up a Runaways’ comic. I’ve heard of the group, especially now that there’s an upcoming tv show. However, I barely know anything about them. When I heard of Rainbow Rowell writing this series, though, I couldn’t resist to put it on my pull list1. (I love all of her books and can’t wait to see how she’s going to do with this series. I also believe that it’s her first time publishing a comic with Marvel and this is a huge chance for her.) I love picking up new comics and getting to know the world and the characters without any forehand knowledge.

The first issue is already packed with action and it gives a short introduction to the characters. I believe that you can understand it pretty well without any prior knowledge, although I don’t know anything about the past adventures that led to this new happening. We get “reminded” that most of the Runaways are dead, but this issue already reunites some of the old gang, even those believed dead.

This series looks very promising and I can’t wait to continue with the next issue. Usually going back in time to rescue someone who died never ends well in the superhero world so I’m eager to find out how this will run out. Also since there are supposably more than only one dead character I’m curious about how they plan to get the rest (or at least some of them) back, too, without repeating the entire time traveling process each time.

With some quick internet research it’s quite simple to get a little overview on the original Runaways gang, so if you’re worried you won’t understand anything in this new series: don’t be! And be careful! This will not be a sunshine and rainbow kind of comic series. It never is, when the Runaways are involved.

I'd like to know

Are you going to pick up the new Runaways series or did you even beat me to it? Isn’t the cover just great? Have you read any of Rowell’s other books? I’d love to chat more about this with you guys in the comments!



1 A pull list (in comic terms) is an agreement with your local comic book store for reservation of particular comic books. This way you receive the comics you regularly read two-weekly or monthly basis, so you don’t miss out on any issues because they’re specifically reserved for you."↩"