Friday 8 September 2017

Book Review: ACOMAF


About the book

Title: A Court Of Mist And Fury
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court Of Thorns And Roses #2
Genres: High Fantasy, New Adult, Romance
Publication: May 3rd, 2016
Pages: 626
Read: August 2017


My Copy

Publisher: Bloomsbury
Edition: Paperback
Purchase Location: Book Depository

My Rating:


Goodreads Summary

Feyre survived Amarantha's clutches to return to the Spring Court—but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can't forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people. Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms—and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future—and the future of a world cleaved in two.


My Spoiler Free Review


It’s finally time to sit down and write this review. I think I can keep my emotions in check for a little while. Looking back at my review of A Court of Thorns And Roses I feel like it doesn’t deserve the four star rating I gave it. It should have maybe been a half star (if not an entire star) less. Alas, I can’t change that (and it wouldn’t be fair to do so). The rating I’d give the first book now has nothing to do with Sarah J Maas’ writing per se, honestly she’s am amazingly talented woman and her writing is wonderful. But I realised that I just didn’t enjoy the book enough for a 4-star rating and should have been honest with myself back then.

The sequel A Court of Mist and Fury however blew all the winds out of my whistle. Bare with me please ‘cause I’ve got a feeling this review is going to be rather of the very long sort which you won’t be used to by me.

Some of you might know that I had a rough time reading the first book in the series because I picked a wrong time to start reading it (and I like to moan about that, too). Therefore, I didn’t have all too high expectations for the second book, but so many people pushed me to read it that I finally caved in and ordered it online. Last month I found the perfect time to take this book on vacation with me and I could not stop reading!.

At the beginning I still clung on to the feelings I had for the first book, but then everything changed. When the first book felt a little slow paced, the second book in the ACOMAF series actually made me savour the tranquility of the plot. There were so many plot twists going on and the hundreds of pages and chapters were absolutely necessary to make the character development much more outstanding. You could literally feel them evolving and certain characters like Rhysand that I never thought I would like turned out to become one of my favourites.

The way that Sarah J Maas deals with posttraumatic stress disorder is truly amazing. It’s such an important part for the ending of ACOTAR and honestly I can’t remember another series where this was fully discussed in the way Maas does it here. It’s a very important part of the background and follows Feyre on every page, but it’s never called out word for word for what it is. And still, everybody knows what’s happening (and with everybody I mean us readers because clearly some characters didn’t acknowledge that, but my anger with those characters will be discussed in the spoilery part of the review).

With the new adventures in this book there come a lot of new characters, and I had a hard time at first keeping up with all of them. But they all grew into my heart and their part of the story felt so much more alive than the introduction of Tamlin or Lucien in the first book ever seemed like.
Feyre: “Can’t you ever just call someone by a given name?” - p. 208
So yeah, I feel like I need to stop with the spoiler free part of my review before I get too carried away. I still can’t believe that the series took such a turn for the positive. And I recommend everybody who disliked the ACOTAR should definitely give A Court of Mist and Fury another chance because that was the best decision I ever made book-wise.

The Part That Might Contain Spoilers


Okay first off: YOU CANNOT IMAGINE MY DISAPPOINTMENT IN TAMLIN. Sorry for yelling, but I had to get that out there. He was so sensitive and friendly and kind in the first book and truly made me like him over any other character. And then this happened. Of course he’s got his own problems and suffers as much as Feyre with PTSD, but still, to ignore her emotions like that and then LOCKING HER UP? Nopes, never going to forgive him. And especially not for siding with the King of Hypern. It’s his fault that my favourite ship was ripped apart and how could he ignore the fact that they were ACTUAL MATES. Something as precious as that should even have sunken into his head that Feyre just wasn’t ment for him.
Feyre: “I’m thinking that I was a lonely, hopeless person, and I might have fallen in love with the first thing that showed me a hint of kindness and safety. And I’m thinking maybe he knew that - maybe not actively, but maybe he wanted to be that person for someone. And maybe that worked for who I was before. Maybe it doesn’t work for who - what I am now." - p.156
Also I’m rather disappointed in Lucien, too. But I can’t wait how it will continue with him now that I know that he’s Elain’s mate. Very interesting plot twist (one of hundreds here). Oh and when we’re already on the subject, can we mention that I need Nesta to be Cassian’s mate? And then Azriel and Mor can end up happily ever after, too. (Do not dare pop my dream bubbles yet, please, I haven’t gotten to start reading A Court of Wings and Ruin yet and I’ve managed to stay unspoilered so far).

I really like Mor and she’s an amazing character and I wish to read more about her in the next book. Also I feel like we didn’t get enough information about Azriel yet. We only know little about his path and I need some further explanation on why he hasn’t told Mor about his feelings in the past 500 YEARS!

I hope that we will get to hear more about Tarquin as the series goes on because he’s such a lovely character (from as much as I’ve read about him so far) and I feel like his court could also make for some very interesting stories. Somehow I feel like he could have been a very good match for Feyre, but seeing as that would interfere with my OTP I have to put those thoughts aside.

And now let’s finally get into it. The OTP of the series. The OTP that outshines the OTP we all couldn’t get over in the first book. Rhysand + Feyre. Do you know how I struggled through all those painful moments where they almost got together, but pulled back right before anything could happen? The build up of their relationship was phenomenal! Kudos to Sarah J Maas! And I knew that something bad would happen when they got together with about 100 pages still to come. The ending had me all torn up and my anger about Tamlin just came all back.

But back to the incredible power couple: When Rhysand explained his entire past to Feyre I think a part of me broke inside. It all made so perfect sense and lets so many moments from ACOTAR come back to life in a whole new light. All his doings had a reason and to realise that he knew for so long that she was his mate and not tell anybody anything makes me so emotional about it. These two NEED a happy ending and I’ll be damned if they don’t get it!
Feyre: “I wonder if some part of me knew what was waiting for me. That I would never be a gentle grower of things, or someone who burned like fire - but that I would be quiet and enduring and as faceted as the night. That I would have beauty, for those who knew where to look, and if people didn’t bother to look, but to only fear it … Then I didn’t particularly care for them, anyway. I wonder if, even in my despair and hopelessness, I was never truly alone. I wonder if I was looking for this place - looking for you all.” - p. 488

Check Out My Previous Reviews



#1 A Court Of Thorns And Roses (My Review)


So as you can see I have a LOT of feelings about this book and it’s definitely one of my favourite reads this year. I’m not sure if there will come many books that can top this one, but I hope the series does continue on this great path. Sarah J. Maas has just become a new favourite author of mine as I’m also reading the Throne of Glass series and loving it. What are your thoughts on ACOMAF? Is there anything I didn’t mention in my review that we want to discuss further? I’m open to as many impressions and thoughts of yours and even hour long discussions if you’d like because I still can’t stop thinking about this book. Let me know what you thought in the comments!