Saturday 29 July 2017

Down The TBR Hole #1


After seeing this meme that I've never heard of before on Chelsea's blog RomWeasley I immediately knew, I'd also want to join in on the fun.

I believe every reader knows the curse of the never-ending to-be-read list. Either in physical form, on paper or online - we’ve all got one. With time my goodreads TBR list has totally gone wild. I can’t even remember putting half of those books on the list. This needs to change and I want to seriously sort it out.

The lovely Lia @ Lost in a Story thought of this “meme” and it goes down like this:

• Go to your goodreads to-read shelf.

• Order on ascending date added.

• Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books

• Read the synopses of the books

• Decide: keep it or should it go?

Lia’s doing this on a weekly basis, but I can’t commit to that right now, so I’m just going to say that I’ll do this from time to time (who knows, maybe in the end I even do end up doing it every week which would be even more awesome!). Currently my to-read shelf on Goodreads contains 227 books. Hopefully I can narrow it down a little.

#1 The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer



The synopsis of this book actually still sounds very interesting and just like the kind of book that I would enjoy.

Verdict: remains on Goodreads shelf


#2 Unravel Me



Unravel Me is the second book in the Shatter Me series which is why I’m going to take it off this shelf. I’m going to get rid of all the sequels to series I still feel unsure about. It’s enough to have the first book in a series on my tbr shelf I believe.

Verdict: remove from shelf


#3 The Evolution of Mara Dyer



This is the third book in the Mara Dyers series. I’m unsure about this series, but I’ve got the first book on my tbr to remind me about it.

Verdict: remove from shelf


#4 The Red Pyramid



Rick Riordan, one of my favourite authors. Not even going to think about this. My plan is to read all of his books, but so far I’m not doing a very good job at following up with this plan.

Verdict: remains on Goodreads shelf


#5 Lies Beneath



I’m fascinated by mermaid tails and I’ve read rather a poorly amount of books about them. The plot sounds really intriguing and I’d definitely forget about this book if it weren’t on my tbr list because I haven’t heard from any of my friends that they’ve read this one.

Verdict: remains on Goodreads shelf


#6 The Shadows of Sherlock Holmes



As much as I’m a Sherlock fan, I believe that I can remove this from my shelf savely. It’s a classic so I’ll definitely discover it in a bookshop by chance one day so I don’t need a reminder.

Verdict: remove from shelf


#7 Love, Tanja



I haven’t read a lot of autobiographies and I haven’t been keeping up with Tanya’s youtube videos. I’m not sure if I’d really enjoy reading this although Tanya is an awesome young woman!

Verdict: remove from shelf


#8 Nightmares!



I’ve actually already started reading this book one or two years ago, but I never got very far. So it doesn’t really belong on this shelf. I do own a copy so I believe some day I'll get back to it.

Verdict: remains on physical tbr pile


#9 Shades of Earth



This is the third installment in the Across the Universe series. After checking out the first book in the series I decided to add that one to my shelf instead because it sounds really interesting.

Verdict: remove from shelf


#10 Ketchup Clouds



Reading the synopsis made me realize that I put this one on my tbr rather for the cover than the actual story. If I come across this in a bookstore I might pick it up, but I don’t feel a deep urge for it to stay on my shelf.

Verdict: remove from shelf



So this has been a great start for my new project! I removed a total of 7 books and only added 1 new book to my Goodreads TBR shelf. Not shabby, right? I have a good feeling about this and am definitely going to continue with this every month.

If you’d like to join me / us in this or have already started then let me know in the comments. I’d love to hear about how you guys handle your tbr piles/lists/shelves. Do you have a clear overview or have they gone out of hand, too? Do we have any books in common on our TBR lists? Do you have any other ways of keeping your tbr lists accurate? I'd love to hear more about that if you do!