Thursday 19 January 2017

Book Review: This Raging Light


About the novel

Title: This Raging Light
Author: Estelle Laure
Series: This Raging Light #1
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary, Romance, Fiction
Published: January 14th 201
Read: January 2017

My Copy

Publisher: Orchard Books
Edition: Paperback
Purchase Location: Gift from my Mom



My Rating:


Goodreads Summary

Lucille Bennett is pushed into adulthood after her mom decides to “take a break”…from parenting, from responsibility, from Lucille and her little sister, Wren. Left to cover for her absentee parents, Lucille thinks, “Wren and Lucille. Lucille and Wren. I will do whatever I have to. No one will pull us apart.” Now is not the time for level-headed Lucille to fall in love. But love—messy, inconvenient love—is what she’s about to experience when she falls for Digby Jones, her best friend’s brother. With blazing longing that builds to a fever pitch, Estelle Laure’s soulful debut will keep readers hooked and hoping until the very last page.


My Review


On the night of January 4th, 2017 at 2 o’clock in the morning, a young woman dressed in her pajamas lying in bed all by herself, cried. Tears fell down her cheek and that was when she knew. She knew she had to put down the book and finally go to sleep to make it to the next day and continue reading then.

That’s how I know I’m reading a heartwarming story (or maybe I really was just too tired to think straight anymore and even the smallest of things could have made me cry - I’m not denying anything).

I was surprised to see that many of my Goodreads friends rated this book below average and that they really disliked it. Meanwhile, I think this was such a great read. Hmmm. Anyway, the story, though somewhat depressing, was written in a very light style - which I adore! I love it, when young adult literature pick up important issues, yet still make them easy to read about. Young readers should read about important issues in the world in my opinion and what better way to do that than with a strong yet vulnerable protagonist?

I totally recommend this book as a “get-away-read”. If you want a break from all your superheroes and love triangles and other drama pick up This Raging Light and give it a shot! Also reading about Lucille and Wren’s problems make your problem probably seem more solvable and you might gain more motivation and strength through Lucille's own strength.

Spoiler Alert! Proceed with caution.


I can’t imagine being put in Lucille’s shoes and I hope that few people have to endure what happened to her and her sister. I definitely would never have pulled through as well as them. What I love about the story is that you don’t know who her friendly helper is. I always had this little hope that it was actually their mom, taking care of them in the shadows. But I think finding out that it was in fact their neighbours made the situation even better. And less forgivable for their mother.

A mother who just leaves her kids - a situation not understandable to me and one I’d probably never forgive. I don’t know what I would have expected from Lucille if her mother had reappeared, but I do hope to understand what happened to her in the sequel (which I’m very impatiently waiting for!). I’m also hoping to see what becomes of their dad, if he makes it back to his family and can take that heavy weight of her shoulders.

Most of all, though, I need to know how things turn out for Eden! Eden and Lucille’s friendship is so heartwarmingly beautiful. The fact that Eden missed out on a lot of Ballet classes (which she clearly lives for) to watch Wren just shows how deep their friendship goes. And of course, I want to know how things continue with Digby. I’m not quite sure yet how I stand on that end because I believe there’s nothing worse you can do in a relationship than cheat, so… Yeah, I can’t wait for the sequel!

I'd like to know

Have you read This Raging Light or are you planning to? What do you think of the plot? Have a chat with me in the comments! :)