Monday 30 May 2016

Movie Of The Month: Civil War


About the movie

Title: The First Avenger: Civil War
Directors: Anthony Russo, Joe Russo
Cast: Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan, ...
Genres: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Release: May 2016
Rated: PG12
My Rating:

IMDB Summary

With many people fearing the actions of super heroes, the government decides to push for the Hero Registration Act, a law that limits a hero's actions. This results in a division in The Avengers. Iron Man stands with this Act, claiming that their actions must be kept in check otherwise cities will continue to be destroyed, but Captain America feels that saving the world is daring enough and that they cannot rely on the government to protect the world. This escalates into an all-out war between Team Iron Man (Iron Man, Black Panther, Vision, Black Widow, War Machine, and Spiderman) and Team Captain America (Captain America, Bucky Barnes, Falcon, Sharon Carter, Scarlett Witch, Hawkeye, and Ant Man) while a new villain emerges.



My Review


Please be aware that this movie review might contain spoilers as I have to let out my feelings about the content of the film. Do not read on if you haven’t watched the movie yet and want to stay clear of spoilers!

My first thought after watching this film was: Did I just watch the third Captain America movie or was that another instalment of the Avengers films. Seriously, the only Avenger (known to the movie world so far) missing was Thor… But hey, who am I to complain? I totally loved this movie! I saw it right when it arrived in the cinemas (yes, this review is up four weeks late, I’m sorry about that!) and I’m still not over it. I went to the cinema with mixed feelings. Frankly, I was scared out of my mind about the outcome of the movie. I spent weeks dreading the death of some of my favourite characters because there were rumours going around that Cap would die and Bucky would take his place as in the comics or that Tony would get beaten by Cap and Bucky. The list of possible deaths went on and on and I just couldn’t wrap my mind about who I’d have to mourn. (I’m still not over my all-time favourite superhero’s death in the newest Man Of Steel instalment).

Lucky for me, all my depressing thoughts were totally unnecessary because nothing like that happened! Oh, how relieved I felt when I left the cinema! I had or still have a split opinion on the whole Iron Man vs Captain America feud. I’m a huge Steve Rogers fan, but then again I absolutely love Tony Stark, too! And somehow I can still understand both sides about their standing on the Hero Registration Act (which by the way just is another unnecessary government’s involvement in something they just shouldn’t poke their noses into in my opinion). Honestly, I thought that they’d fight about something totally different and it would be too easy to pick a side as an outsider, but nopes. (I still wore my Cap T-Shirt to the cinema though.) So the main plot was great, the action scenes were fantastic and the absolute highlight was how great Tom Holland played his part as the new Spider Man (and I’m just going to throw this out here: I truly believe he’ll be the best Spidy we ever got to see because, although I really love Tobey Maguire, his Spiderman was just too whiny and although Andrew Garfield’s Spidy was a lot more sarcastic, they both just didn’t bring the real silly-sarcastic-witty Spiderman I love to screen, and that’s what Tom achieved in his short appearance).

The villain of this movie, Zemo (played by Daniel Brühl who did an awesome job!), really got on my nerves. He was such a great mastermind and I totally hate and at the same time I admire him for being so clever as to be the main reason Cap and Tony got into their fight. Every time Tony realised that Cap was actually not on the wrong, Zemo showed him new evidence that Bucky was the one to blame and of course Cap would fight him again on the subject. As for other great characters in this movie can we just acknowledge how great Black Panther is! Honestly, I don’t know the comics so I didn’t know this character that well and it totally took me by surprise when T’Challa turned out to be the new heroe. I was nearly as shocked as when Martin Freeman appeared on screen. I didn’t look up who would act in the movie besides the obvious heroes so when he appeared on screen my friend and I both gasped so loud by surprise that the entire cinema heard us and laughed at us (there were easily 50 other people watching the movie with us).

And lastly, I’d just love to say how much a fan I am of Black Widow and Scarlet Witch! I love these two so much they made the entire movie better just by appearing on screen. Also I feel like I should confess this: I haven’t seen the Ant-Man movie yet, because frankly, I think as much of Ant-Man as I do of Aqua-Man which basically means: I don’t think they’re necessary. Not in a bad way, but I just didn’t feel like watching that movie yet or reading their comics. But now after seeing Paul Rudd’s appearance in Civil War I have to reconsider my feelings on this subject and I’ll probably watch his movie soon. Maybe. Okay, probably not that soon, but someday I will. Oh and I’m only going to say his name because I don’t know if I could stop myself once I’ve started writing about him. SEBASTIAN STAN!

I'd like to know

Have you seen Civil War? Are you a fan of Marvel movies in general or do you prefer the comics? Do you even enjoy comics in general?