Friday 8 April 2016

Movie Review: Allegiant


About the movie

Title: Allegiant (The Divergent Series #3.1)
Director: Robert Schwentke
Cast: Shailene Woodley, Theo James, Naomi Watts, Miles Teller
Genres: Mystery, Science-Fiction, Dystopia
Release: March 2016
Rated: 14+
My Rating:

IMDB Summary

After the earth-shattering revelations of INSURGENT, Tris must escape with Four and go beyond the wall enclosing Chicago. For the first time ever, they will leave the only city and family they have ever known. Once outside, old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless with the revelation of shocking new truths. Tris and Four must quickly decide who they can trust as a ruthless battle ignites beyond the walls of Chicago which threatens all of humanity. In order to survive, Tris will be forced to make impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice and love



My Review


Okay, so to be quite honest (and I’m terribly disappointed by myself so don’t hold it against me) I did not reread the book before watching the movie and now I don’t know what’s reality and what’s just cinematic adaptation. I forgot basically the entire happenings of the book and I don’t even regret it because this movie was absolute perfection! I loved it so much, I don’t even know where to start (but I’ll make this short because I don’t have all the time of the world, although if you like we can talk about it longer in the comments or via messages!). 



Insurgent left me quite confused (with exactly the same expression as on the image above) because then I could still remember the ending of the book and it was nothing like the ending of the movie suggested would happen. I was a little concerned where they were going with the whole ‘opening the fence’ thing, but I’m so glad that they kept it together and Evelyn closed them up again. I do not like her at all and I question all her decisions, but I think Naomi Watts did a great job playing her. The scenes where they judged all those in league with Jeanine were so intense! Followed by Caleb’s great escape which left me breathless when Four ‘shot’ him. After getting over my shock I couldn’t help myself and laughed out loud (and now imagine all the people around me shushing me angrily). I don’t know what I should do with my feelings for Caleb. In the books I despised him after Insurgent and I never forgave him, but in the movies I actually have hope. Hope that things will change and that he’s actually going to stay the decent, helpful and most important loyal to Tris person he’s become towards the end. One of my favourite scenes with him is the one where they flee from outside and Christina sits in his lap. There weren’t a lot of scenes where you could laugh, but this was definitely one of them.




Let’s talk about the world outside of the fence. The escape at the beginning was already so action packed and the effects were so good! I loved how they filmed the gang running up the wall. It’s just something so small, but so great done that I wish I could have been a part of it (except for the fact that they were being shot at of course). The way Tris hang at Four like a koala (do you know the word koalaing? You wrap your legs around something or someone like a koala and I’m very thankful to Dom Sherwood to introducing this to me) and it still looked so combatting. The graphic effects in this movie were really great! They really brought out the futuristic sense of the story and the reveal of the outside world was that much more impressive. Matthew (who I knew in an instant reminded me of someone I knew and I guessed he was somehow related to Alexander SkarsgĂ„rd and I was so happy to find out I was right!) was the only new character I actually liked and I hope to see much more of him in the last part. The changes they made about the outside world in contrast to the book were in my opinion really successful. In my head I always imagined the place they went to to be so small and consist of only a small building and my mind couldn’t imagine such a technical progressed city and I really liked how they introduced those drones. I like how they make it possible to have a better overview in combat and it makes the scenes even more action-packed. One thing though, that was really weird, were those bubbles the gang got put in to ‘keep them save from the radioactivity’. I mean, they were just hanging in the air next to those airships and they flew with them? Weird!



The dystopian world that was build up in this movie is by far one of the best for my taste. It’s all so dramatic, intriguing and really full of surprises. So many betrayals and people just keep trying to trust those who have already betrayed all of them. Yes, Peter, I’m talking about you. Please, just go into a corner and stay there. Don’t come out anymore, you’re just here for all the damage. The gas scene at the end was really intense and I’m looking forward to finding out what the consequences of that will be. Surely, not all could have kept all of their memories, right? I mean, Edgar basically drowned in that air. Pretty intense stuff going on, and the war hasn’t even really begun yet… One important thing about the gas leak: I actually thought Tris was going to die. I mean I just sat there in the cinema and was like: “Oh my god, they’re going to kill her off before the last movie.” And I pretty much had the same expression and my hand at my mouth as Tris in the next image. Somehow I had it in my memory that there was something related to a gas leak when the unspeakable thing happened in the book? I really have to re-read Allegiant before the last movie gets out to refresh my memory!



I’m pretty sad about Uriah not appearing enough. I thought (don’t hate me if I get this wrong) that in the books he had escaped with Tris and Four? I’d just love to get more screen time of Keiynan Lonsdale because I’m such a big fan of him.

There are so many more things that I could talk about, but honestly at the moment my mind’s just blank. If you have something you’d like me to talk about just mention it in the comments and we can talk about it there. I’m sorry about this mess of a review, it’s just I’m kind of stressed out a little with work at the moment, but I really wanted to write this review and I didn’t even reread it so I’m sorry about the mumble-jumble. If you don’t have anything to do tonight, why don’t go to the nearest cinema and watch Allegiant? You’ll love it!

I'd like to know

This movie was filled with so many great escapes, in fact more escapes than actual battle scenes, that I’m just calling it The Great Escape Before The Battle which would naturally be Ascendant. Do you have a nickname for the movie? What are your thoughts on it or are you still planning on watching it? Is there a character or cast member you wished had had more screentime? Are you even a Divergent fan?