Friday 29 April 2016

April Movie Highlights

Hey there lovelies! Today I'm going to skip #ShadowhuntersWeek post because honestly I just haven't come up with a good idea what to tell you guys, and I don't want to just make up a post in a rush (I'm still reading for the ReadAThon though!). That's why I've got another treat for you. These are all the movies I've seen this month that I think are worth mentioning and I hope you'll enjoy my reviews! One other movie I've seen in April and I really loved is Allegiant which you can read my review of here. Hope you'll have a nice Friday and maybe you'll watch one of these movies in your local theatre tonight?!


About the movie

Title: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Director: Zack Snyder
Cast: Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Jesse Eisenberg
Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy
Release: March 2016
Rated: PG12
My Rating:

IMDB Summary

Batman and Superman clash over differing philosophies about what kind of heroism is needed to protect the world, while the public they're defending is becoming increasingly mindful of the damage that superheroes and masked vigilantes cause. However, the duo are soon forced to confront an even greater threat created by nefarious billionaire Lex Luthor.


My Review


I entered the cinema with a lot of hesitation. From the moment I first heard this movie was going to be planned I was a little concerned. Already in the comics I didn't like the idea behind this plot at all. And now on the big screen? Things could only go wrong... Or so I thought. The movie in fact was really great! Ben Affleck actually isn't that bad a Batman. Althogh I'm still and always will be Team Superman! Honestly, I do not like Henry Cavill's version of him at all though. Already Man of Steel didn't convince me at all. But the special effects in this movie were stunning! With today's 3D glasses I actually thought that the buildings were going to tumble down onto me and I really enjoyed the 4D effects from the seats in front of us that shook us, too.

Now, back to the movie. Although I don't like these adaptations of superheroes (I'm more of a Brandon Routh fangirl) I think the mix matched perfectly together. They just all seem a little harder and darker and I think that's what DC was looking for. More drama, more heartbreaks. Oh and how my heart was broken at the end of the movie. I cried for the entire last 20 minutes (silently, though I think some other cinema-goers noticed). And of course, what kind of superheroes movie would it be nowadays if it didn't end with a cliffhanger? I'm really excited about Wonder Woman! Finally she's getting her own movie, and hopefully they'll continue the story there? Because they can't just leave it as it is now!




About the movie

Title: The 5th Wave
Director: J Blakeson
Cast: Chloe Grace Moretz, Matthew Zuk, Gabriela
Lopez, Nick Robinson
Genres: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi
Release: January 2016
Rated: PG12
My Rating:

IMDB Summary

Four waves of increasingly deadly attacks have left most of Earth in ruin. Against a backdrop of fear and distrust, Cassie is on the run, desperately trying to save her younger brother. As she prepares for the inevitable and lethal fifth wave, Cassie teams up with a young man who may become her final hope - if she can only trust him.


My Review


Yes, I know this movie has been out for a while now, but hear me out. Somehow my country decided not to show this movie in the theatres? I have absolutely no idea why, but that's the reason I couldn't go watch The 5th Wave, which I'd been awaiting for such a long time in the cinema. So I had to wait until I could watch it online and this month I finally could. I really liked this adaptation although there were a few little things that bothered me. But that's always the case if you're a big fan of a book, right? Anyway, all in all it was greatly done! One of my favourite scenes of the book didn't make it into the movie, which was a little disappointing, but I can't change it right? I'm talking about one of the last chapters where Cassy and Ben are caught in the room with the mirror and Sammy is on the other side. And then Evan saves the day. Instead we get quite an awkward situation where Ben just gets to watch Evan and Cassy make out... Still not complaining, though.

This movie showed great potential and I really hope they're going to continue with the series. I want to know how they'll explain the whole 'alien' situation because they kind of screwed that part up. I mean, did the writers even consider the second book in the trilogy? Or did they just think they'd just take Book one and then go their own way...?




About the movie

Title: The Huntsman: Winter's War
Director: Cedric Nicolas-Troyan
Cast: Chris Hemsworth, Jessica Chastain, Charlize Theron, Emily Blunt
Genres: Action, Adventure, Drama
Release: April 2016
Rated: PG12
My Rating:

IMDB Summary

As a war between rival queen sisters Ravenna and Freya escalates, Eric and fellow warrior Sara, members of the Huntsmen army raised to protect Freya, try to conceal their forbidden love as they combat Ravenna's wicked intentions.


My Review


I don't even know where to start. This movie was so great and thrilling from the very beginning. I must confess that I didn't really enjoy The Huntsman and Snow White although I've seen it twice already (I think both times early this year). I got confused for a short while during the film because I thought it would be a prequel to the first movie, but instead it was kind of a mash-up. It started years before the happenings of Snow White when Eric played by Chris Hemsworth was still a kid and recruited by the Ice Queen. And then we were catapulted into the future after the story of Snow. When I realised this I felt bad for my friend who watched the movie with me because he hadn't seen the first movie yet, but for no reason at all. He could keep up with the contents and understood everything perfectly without needing more explaining. So you don't have to watch Snow White at all to understand Winter's War.

The storyline was quite intersting, although predictable at some points. I still enjoyed it, though, and I think those predictable moments actually gave the whole movie more tension. The ending was great! (But I'm not going to spoil you, so I'll just leave it there... All I'm gonna say is: I love it, when the "villain" of a story turns out to have a heart and actually really had good motives in the depths of her heart.) I wish I could rewatch this movie already. I'm definitely going to buy it on DVD. Oh and can I just add: I loved the gowns and gears the cast got to wear. Emily Blunt's warderobe was absolutely stunning! All her dresses looked so beautiful on her and I just keep dreaming of wearing such a gown one day.

I'd like to know

Has April been as much of a movie month for you as it has for me? What was your favourite movie? Are there upcoming movies you're excited about?