Monday 28 March 2016

Book Review: Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods


About the book

Title: Percy Jackson and the Greek Gods
Series: PJ and the Olympians companion book
Author: Rick Riordan
Genres: Fantasy, Greek Mythology, Young Adult, Children, Adventure
Published: August 6th 2014
Read: February 2016
My Rating: 

My Copy

Publisher: Penguin Export
Cover: Paperback
Purchase Location: Kinokunyia, Singapore


Goodreads Summary

"If you like horror shows, blood baths, lying, stealing, backstabbing, and cannibalism, then read on... Who could tell the origin stories of the gods of Olympus better than a modern-day demigod? In this whirlwind tour of Greek mythology, Percy Jackson gives his personal take on the gods and goddesses of ancient Greece - and reveals the truth about how they came to rule the world.



My Review


I've never found it so interesting before reading about Greek mythology! When we had this subject in primary school I remember clearly being bored out of my mind. Now as a big Percy Jackson fan I just had to have this book. It was more of a collector’s decision than me actually wanting to read the book. But I read it right away and it was so hilariously funny that I kept retelling the stories to my family (which they didn’t really enjoy by the way, I think I bore them as much as my old teacher bored me).

I should go back and meet my teacher to tell her that she should just use this book in future. The way Percy tells us all about the Greek gods is absolutely fun. His sarcasm, witty responses and own opinions really lighten the stories up and the way the stories are being told in a modern way gives everything a whole new perspective. Also, you realise that he invents stuff which makes it even more fun to read. In the future I will give this book to my not-yet-existing children and tell them this is the right way to learn about Greek mythology. I’ll just have to make sure that they understand the word sarcasm first.

A great thing about this book is that you don’t have to read it in one sitting. In fact, you could read multiple books inbetween chapters if you’d like. The book is separated into twelve chapters, each introducing another god. That way it’s actually as if you’re reading short stories. So really, if you want to take a break from all the Greek drama, and believe me there’s a lot of horrible drama going on there, then don’t worry. It’s perfectly alright to do that and you won’t get lost if you decide to return to this book.

Once again, Rick Riordan did an amazing job in entertaining his readers and actually teaching them stuff in a fun way. If I’d read this book before we treated the subject in school I would have aced my exam without doubt. So go ahead and have a look at it!

I'd like to know

Are you a Percy Jackson fan? Or do you enjoy reading about Greek Mythology? Do you regularly read the companion books of book series? Or do you think it's unnecessary and too much information?