Tuesday 1 March 2016

Book Review: I'll Give You The Sun



Title: I'll Give You The Sun
Author: Jandy Nelson
Series: -
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult, Romance, Fiction, Glbt
Published: April 2nd 2015
Read: February 2016
Rating: 4.5 

My Copy

Publisher: Walker Books Ltd
Cover: Paperback
Purchase Location: Kinokunyia, Singapore


Goodreads Summary: From the author of The Sky Is Every­where, a radiant novel that will leave you laughing and crying - all at once. For fans of John Green, Gayle Forman and Lauren Oliver. Jude and her twin Noah were incredibly close - until a tragedy drove them apart, and now they are barely speaking. Then Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy as well as a captivating new mentor, both of whom may just need her as much as she needs them. What the twins don't realize is that each of them has only half the story and if they can just find their way back to one another, they have a chance to remake their world.


Other Editions:



My Review

To start of the month of March I thought it would be great to start of with my February Favourite. This book was absolutely amazing! "I don't think I have any emotions in me anymore right now because I poured them all into this book. I'll have to tank up tomorrow again." That was my first thought after finishing this book. 

"[...] Maybe a person is just made up of a lot of people. Maybe we're accumulating these new selves all the time. Hauling them in as we make choices, good and bad, as we screw up, step up, lose our minds, find our minds, fall apart, fall in love, as we grieve, grow, retreat from the world, dive into the world, as we make things, as we break things. - Each new self standing on the last one's shoulders until we're these wobbly people poles? - Yes, exactly!" 

This book makes you think about life. The parallel story of the twins Jade and Noah is so heartbreaking. That they're being told 3 years apart from each other, but still at the same time (only makes sense if you've read the book) is everything that makes this book so ... revolutionary? Probably a word Noah would use to describe it. The story keeps hitting you with parallels without you even noticing all of them until the end... Definitely what I would call an emotional roller coaster! I literally had to jump into the pool a few times (thank god I was on a vacation) so that the other hotel guests couldn't see me sobbing behind my book. 

The ending was nearly everything I could have asked for. Just one tincy tiny thing that I'm a little upset about is that I couldn't read from Noah's point of view on how he got back together with Brian. I really wanted to know what exactly happened and who apologised and just not knowing this bit makes me a little upset. 

Jandy Nelson has a very vivid description going on. Noah's imagination is mind blowing. I'm still not convinced that a thirteen-year-old can have such an elaborate vocabulaire, but reading his passages gave me images in my mind I didn't know I could create. 

What I really liked about the parallels was that Oscar, or the naked dude, appeared in both of their lives without their knowing and it shows that some people are just meant to meet. (Ok, so this was all created by an author, but still I believe that it is true in real life and we just have some people who we're meant to meet someday).

To sum up: One of my favourite contemporaries!