Thursday 25 February 2016

Book Review: Prodigy

Title: Prodigy
Author: Marie Lu
Series: Legend #2
Genres: YA, Dystopia, Sci-Fi, Romance
Published: January 29th, 2013
Read: February 2016
Rating:  


My Copy

Publisher: Penguin Books
Cover: Paperback
Purchase Location: The Works, London



Goodreads Summary: Injured and on the run, it has been seven days since June and Day barely escaped Los Angeles and the Republic with their lives. Day is believed dead having lost his own brother to an execution squad who thought they were assassinating him. June is now the Republic's most wanted traitor. Desperate for help, they turn to the Patriots - a vigilante rebel group sworn to bring down the Republic. But can they trust them or have they unwittingly become pawns in the most terrifying of political games?

Other books in the series:

 

Legend (#1) (review) &  Champion (#3)

My Review

Wow! This book had so many plot twists I couldn't even see them coming. From the beginning to the end it was one hell of a ride with my emotions. I was suspicious of the Patriots from the beginning. I didn't really like Razor and things just didn't add up. The outcome surprised me anyway though and that Razor was a traitor gave the story a whole new meaning. That the government wanted to assassinate one of their own, no other than their leader, made the situation much more complicated. Anden, the young elector, is a man with great values and he's the kind of leader that wants the civilians' respect, but at the same time respects them back. He's the kind of leader a country in such a revolutionary situation needs and who can actually change things for the better. 

This sequel still leaves a few open questions on my behalf, one of them is: what exactly happened to Day's father? It never explicably said that he died, just that he disappeared which makes me wonder if he'll turn up in the last installment of the trilogy. Another character I'd really liked to know more about is a certain pilot, who's death was just so unforeseen. I didn't expect Kaede to die and I actually began to really like her and was very interested in knowing more about her past. The end of this book only speaks of June and Day's safety, I'd like to know where the other Patriots (the actual innocent ones) are now. Tess, Pascao... Will Tess forgive Day and June? I hope to get these answers in the last book.

What I really liked about this book (same as the first one) is that it's really fast paced. You don't get bored because there's a lot of talk without action, but you get your facts quite quick. Finally we also gather information about the rest of the world (which in other dystopian novels always annoys me when it only talks about what happened to America). We know how a little what happened to the world (climate change) and that there's a new superpower: Antarctica (who saw this one coming?). A great read with a heartbreaking end.

One question though, does Day remind you guys of Katniss Everdeen too or is that just me?