Sunday 24 January 2016

Book Review: Fangirl

Published September 10, 2013
Goodreads Summary: Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fan fiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life. Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realizing that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible ...


Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell is a Young-Adult Fiction book that left me at first with only one thought: I have a new crush. Levi. I think he's the cutest character ever. Everytime I read a new Rainbow Rowell book I fall for a new character. Her worlds are fascinating. It's like I can never ever get enough and I really don't want to escape her fictional worlds. Fangirl is my favourite yet because I can really relate to Cath. It's refreshing to read a book that involves Fanfiction that much and to read about how important in one's life it can be. I think what I really like about Cath is that she isn't the adventure-seeking kind of girl as her sister, but she's down to earth, doesn't really like people and just wants to keep to herself in her own world. 

I'm also very glad that the ending of the book was everything that I could have wished for (except that it was the ending of the book of course). I was kind of afraid that she would reconcile with her mother and forgive her and everything (because a lot of books just looove happy endings), but after Wren landed in the hospital and their mother behaved so distanced I was actually pretty sure that that wouldn't happen. I cannot imagine how it must be to have gotten left by your mother, but one thing I know for sure: If my mother would have left me the way Laura did Cath and Wren, I would never be able to forgive her. 

And now back to Levi. He's my absolute favourite man-character in all of Rainbow's books. He's super sweet, he's caring and from the moment of Cath meeting him I was rooting for and totally fangirling about him. I know nobody who hasn't fallen for him after reading this book and if I ever do meet someone, they'll better have a very good explanation. 

Rainbow Rowell did it again. She blew my mind with an absolutely adorable and fascinating story that grips you from the beginning and won't let you go until you finished and charished the book (and even then, you'll have quite some difficulties getting over it). 



I recommend this book to fans of "Love Letters to the Dead" by Ava Dellaira and any girl who's in need of a new crush.